MERRILLVILLE | An American Red Cross blood drive in memory of Adler Shelbourne will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in the Field House Concourse at Griffith High School, 600 N. Wiggs St., Griffith.
Donors are asked to call (800) RED CROSS or go to redcrossblood.org and enter sponsor code “adlerstrong” to schedule a blood donation appointment.
Adler Shelbourne was only 2 when he was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive brain cancer and lost his fight a year later. During his battle, he received blood products and his family wants to give back by hosting blood drives in his memory.
Adler’s family now hosts Adler Strong on his birthday to raise awareness through a community walk to benefit the Riley Hospital Pediatric Brain Cancer Research Center in Indianapolis. This blood drive is part of that annual event.
There is an urgent need for platelet donors, blood donors with types O, A negative and B negative blood during the recent severe winter weather that has caused a shortfall in donations.
Approximately 280 blood drives across 25 states were canceled across the U.S. due to snow and extreme cold, resulting in a shortfall of nearly 8,400 blood and platelet donations since Jan. 2.
Other upcoming blood donation opportunities in Lake County:
- 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today at Indiana Botanic Gardens, 3401 W. 37th Ave., Hobart.
- 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. today at Henry S. Evans Elementary School, 2915 E. 35th Ave., Lake Station.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the Mural Room at St. John the Baptist Church, 1844 Lincoln Ave., Whiting. This is a Blood of the Martyrs blood drive.
- 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Monday in the St. Bridget School gymnasium, 107 Main St., Hobart, sponsored by Knights of Columbus Council 1347.
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Indiana University Northwest, 3400 Broadway in Gary. Come to donate and receive a Culver's Frozen Custard coupon good for one pint of frozen custard.
- 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 1 at the Lowell Public Library, 1505 E. Commercial Ave., Lowell.
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 3 at Tradebe Treatment and Recycling, 4343 Kennedy Ave., East Chicago.
- 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 4 in Classrooms #108 & 109 at Highland Parks & Recreation Department's Lincoln Center, 2450 Lincoln St., Highland.
- 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 6 at St. Matthias Church Hall, 101 Burrell Drive, Crown Point.
- 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 8 in the hall at John Wood Elementary School, 6100 E. 73rd Ave., Merrillville, a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
- 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at the First Presbyterian Church Hall, 218 S. Court St., Crown Point.
- 1:30 to 6 p.m. Feb. 10 at VFW Post 717, 10400 W. 93rd Ave., St. John.
- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 13 in Meeting Room 1 at the Crown Point Community Library, 122 N. Main St., Crown Point.
- 8 a.m. to noon Feb. 15 at Marquette Park United Methodist Church, 215 N. Grand Blvd., Gary.
The Merrillville Donor Center, 791 E. 83rd Ave., is open from 12:30 to 5 p.m. every Monday and from 8 a.m. until noon the first and third Saturday of each month.