GRIFFITH | Griffith Branch YMCA is encouraging parents to help keep their kids physically active and mentally engaged by signing them up May 1 through this summer for the Y’s Adventure Camp or Day Camp.
Visit griffithymca.org for details.
“While summer should be a time of exploration, youth are sometimes less involved in activities that stimulate their mind and body,” said Lori Mulligan, childcare coordinator at the Griffith Branch YMCA.
“At Adventure Camp or Day Camp, kids have the opportunity to get outdoors and learn about nature, take on new responsibilities, gain independence, and develop essential social skills and new relationships. As a result, they become more confident, open to trying new things and grow as individuals and as part of a group.”
To ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Day Camp offers financial assistance to those in need.
According to Y camping experts, there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
1. Adventure: Summer camp is all about new experiences, especially exploring the outdoors. Griffith Branch YMCA Adventure Camp will visit places like The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and Lincoln Park Zoo.
2. Healthy fun: Day camps teach the importance of nutrition to help improve eating habits.
3. Personal growth: While away from the routine at home, youth learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence.
4. New friendships: Amidst the fun of games, songs and talent shows, campers meet new friends.
5. Memories: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience.
For more information about camps, visit griffithymca.org or contact Lori Mulligan at email@example.com.