HAMMOND | More testing is required to determine if an electrical appliance caused a blaze at a Hessville bar Monday, Hammond Fire Deputy Chief Kevin Margraf said.
Margraf said the Hammond Fire Department wrapped up its investigative work Thursday at Yellowstone Bar and Grill, 7015 Kennedy Ave.
The cause of the fire does not appear to be intentional, he said.
An electrical appliance may have caused the blaze that damaged the rear end of the business, but additional testing is required to determine if the appliance was the source, Margraf said.
Any testing deemed necessary would be handled among the business, its insurance company and the appliance's supplier, Margraf said.
The Hammond Fire Department was called to the former Copper Penny bar about 4:45 p.m. Monday. The bar had been scheduled to open about 6 p.m. before the fire started.
Referencing pictures of the bar after the fire, Margraf said the damage looks repairable.
“It doesn't look like a lot of heavy structural damage,” Margraf said. “It seems to be cosmetic. It seems like maybe we had gotten there just in time.”
No one was inside the bar or in the building's upstairs apartment at the time of the fire.