HAMMOND | Dirty filters and dust likely helped start a fire Tuesday at the Niagara LaSalle Corp. facility in the 1400 block of 150th Street, Hammond fire officials said.
Hammond Fire Department Deputy Chief Kevin Margraf said the blaze started at 1:08 p.m. and was put out within an hour. The fire was started in an area of the facility where the company keeps different particle material, which can spark a fire if the filters aren't cleaned.
The buildup of dust, the particles and heat in the area started the fire, he said.
There were no reported injuries and no significant damage to the building.