Family of five rescued from fire

2013-10-06T20:15:00Z 2013-10-07T15:53:06Z Family of five rescued from fireElvia Malagon elvia.malagon@nwi.com, (219) 933-3246 nwitimes.com

HAMMOND | A Hammond family of five awoke late Saturday to a fire in their apartment.

Hammond Fire Chief Jeff Smith said his department responded at midnight to the second floor of Renaissance Apartments, 465 Logan St.

The family had been asleep inside the apartment when firefighters arrived. 

The two adults were able to walk out of the apartment on their own, and the three children were carried out by firefighters, Smith said. None of the residents were injured and the fire did not spread to any neighboring apartments. 

Firefighters were able to put out the fire, which started in the kitchen, within 10 minutes, Smith said.

The apartment had smoke detectors that began going off late Saturday, Smith said. A resident from a neighboring apartment heard the alarm and called for help.

Neighbors tried to bang on the door to wake up the residents, but it wasn't until firefighters arrived that the family realized their apartment was on fire.

Smith said it appears the fire was started by an item that was left on the electric stove.

He credits working smoke detectors and the quick work of Hammond firefighters for saving the family.

"My guys did an outstanding job on getting people out," he said.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Hammond

Hammond City Hall

5925 Calumet Avenue Hammond, IN 46320
219.853.6301

Police Department

509 Douglas Street Hammond, IN 46320
219.852.2900

Fire Department

6110 Calumet Avenue Hammond, IN 46320
219.853.6416

Parks and Recreation

5825 Sohl Avenue Hammond, IN 46320
219.853.6378

School City of Hammond

41 Williams Street Hammond, IN 46320
219.933.2400

Latest Local Offers