HAMMOND | Two people were displaced after a fire Monday afternoon damage a home at 4937 Cedar Ave., officials said.
The fire started outside at the back of the house at about 4 p.m., said Kevin Margraf, deputy chief for the Hammond Fire Department. The fire damage the back porch, backdoor and kitchen area.
Margraf said two people were in the front of the single-story house during the time of the fire and weren't injured. He said officials are still investigating what started the fire.
The fire did not jump to any surrounding buildings.
Margraf said the residents are staying with family members.