Man displaced in Hammond kitchen fire

2013-03-13T20:30:00Z 2013-03-13T21:19:05Z Man displaced in Hammond kitchen fireTimes Staff
March 13, 2013 8:30 pm  • 

HAMMOND | A man was displaced Wednesday after a kitchen fire damaged his two-story house on the 4500 block of Towle Avenue in Hammond.

The fire started just before 6 p.m., said Michael Opinker, chief fire inspector for the Hammond Fire Department. Officials are still investigating how the fire started, but Opinker said it appears to have been accidental.

There were no reported injuries. The fire was contained to the kitchen. It was under control before 7 p.m.

Opinker said the man who was displaced was renovating the home and was in the process of buying it.

The man, who was not identified, told authorities he was planning to stay with family.

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About Hammond

Hammond City Hall

5925 Calumet Avenue Hammond, IN 46320

Police Department

509 Douglas Street Hammond, IN 46320

Fire Department

6110 Calumet Avenue Hammond, IN 46320

Parks and Recreation

5825 Sohl Avenue Hammond, IN 46320

School City of Hammond

41 Williams Street Hammond, IN 46320

Latest Local Offers