HAMMOND | NIPSCO crews were working Monday evening to fix a gas leak that prompted the evacuation of 16 units at the Renaissance Towers in Hammond.
Hammond Fire Department Deputy Chief Kevin Margraf said the gas leak was reported about 2:30 p.m. about 20 feet from the apartment complex between Michigan Avenue and Logan Street. Crews were able to shut off the gas about 8:20 p.m. to begin making repairs.
Margraf said the leak happened in the area where NIPSCO crews were working to replace older gas lines.
He said the units were evacuated as a precaution, and no one was hospitalized. Residents were allowed back into their apartments by 8:30 p.m. after the gas was turned off.
The apartment complex is for senior citizens, according to its website. Calls to the property manager were not returned Monday evening.