Space heater may be cause of fire at Hammond house

2014-01-18T22:00:00Z Space heater may be cause of fire at Hammond houseTimes Staff nwitimes.com
January 18, 2014 10:00 pm  • 

HAMMOND | Hammond firefighters are investigating a fire that caused extensive damage Saturday at a home in the 1100 block of Drackert Street.

No one was home at the time, and no injuries were reported, officials said.

The fire began between 1 and 1:15 p.m. Saturday, Hammond Fire Chief Jeff Smith said. He said it was a single-family residence. Officials believe the fire was sparked by a space heater in the basement.

"We're not positive, but we believe that a space heater may have been involved. It started in the basement," Smith said. "We can't get back out there until probably Tuesday morning with the insurance investigator."

Smith said the fire caused extensive damage, and firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to extinguish the fire.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Hammond

Hammond City Hall

5925 Calumet Avenue Hammond, IN 46320
219.853.6301

Police Department

509 Douglas Street Hammond, IN 46320
219.852.2900

Fire Department

6110 Calumet Avenue Hammond, IN 46320
219.853.6416

Parks and Recreation

5825 Sohl Avenue Hammond, IN 46320
219.853.6378

School City of Hammond

41 Williams Street Hammond, IN 46320
219.933.2400