HOBART | An 18-year-old Hobart man who shot into the front window of the downtown Dairy Queen in a drive-by Tuesday night told police it was a "dumb mistake," said Detective Sgt. Jeremy Ogden.
"He said he wasn't trying to shoot at anyone inside the business," Ogden said.
Charges against the high school dropout are expected to be filed Thursday morning, Ogden said.
Charges through Lake County Juvenile Court also may be filed against one or two Hobart girls who were in the car at the time of the shooting.
One of the girls apparently encouraged the shooter, who also was driving the car, Ogden said.
Police were called at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday to the Dairy Queen, 530 Main St., by owner Clayton Frey.
No injuries were reported during the shooting, which shattered the exterior and left a tiny hole in the front window of the restaurant, located just south of the downtown.
Witnesses provided police with a description of the suspect's car, which was stopped a few minutes later by Officers Christopher Sipes and Scott Shaginaw.
Inside the trunk, police recovered a pistol that shoots both pellets and BBs.
BBs were found on the passenger side floor of the car, Ogden said.
Four people in the car were taken into police custody, including another 18-year-old Hobart man and two 15-year-old Hobart girls.
A fifth person, another 15-year-old Hobart girl, had been inside the car at the time of the shooting but had been dropped off at her home, Ogden said.
The girl was brought down to the Police Department with her mother for questioning, Ogden said.
Ogden praised the work of the patrol officers, who apprehended the suspects within 10 minutes of the shooting.
"They did a good job," Ogden said.