Hobart firefighters extinguish blazes at home, apartments

2013-01-21T18:46:00Z 2013-01-24T15:03:09Z Hobart firefighters extinguish blazes at home, apartmentsBy Deborah Laverty deborah.laverty@nwi.com, (219) 762-1397, ext. 2223 nwitimes.com

HOBART | Hobart firefighters battled two accidental fires Monday afternoon, Assistant Fire Chief Brian Kerr said.

"There were no injuries reported in either fire. It could have been a lot worse," he said.

The first fire on Monday was reported around 1:30 p.m. at an apartment complex in the 800 block of South Lake Park Avenue, Kerr said.

The fire was apparently sparked due to someone leaving cooking items on the stove, Kerr said.

The cooking fire got into interior walls of the apartment complex and spread to second and third floor apartments, Kerr said.

Five families were displaced due to that fire.

The second fire was reported at around 4:30 p.m. in the 3500 block of Rush Place.

Kerr said the resident was installing something in his windows that required heat and he accidentally caught his insulation on fire in the process.

 "Both fires were accidental so there will be no followup investigation," Kerr said.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Hobart

City Hall
414 Main Street Hobart, IN 46342
(219) 942-1940

Police Department
705 E. Fourth St. Hobart, IN 46342
(219) 942-1125

Fire Department
400 E. 10th Street Hobart, IN 46342
(219) 942-5184

Public Works
414 Main Street Hobart, IN 46342
(219) 942-6121

School City of Hobart
32 East 7th Street, Hobart, In 46342
(219) 942-8885

Latest Local Offers