HOBART | An 18-year-old Hobart man was charged Thursday in connection with a drive-by shooting at the downtown Dairy Queen.
David C. Cotto was charged in Lake County court with criminal recklessness and criminal mischief, both Class D felonies.
Police were called at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday to the Dairy Queen, 530 Main St., by owner Clayton Frey.
No injuries were reported during the shooting, which shattered the exterior of a front window and left a tiny hole in it.
Witnesses provided police with a description of the suspect's car, which was stopped a few minutes later by Officers Christopher Sipes and Scott Shaginaw.
Inside the trunk, police recovered a pistol that shoots both pellets and BBs, police said.
BBs were found on the passenger-side floor of the car, police Detective Sgt. Jeremy Ogden said.
Four people in the car were taken into police custody, including another 18-year-old Hobart man and two 15-year-old Hobart girls.
A fifth person, another 15-year-old Hobart girl, had been inside the car at the time of the shooting but had been dropped off at her home, Ogden said.
Cotto, who bought the pellet gun at a Walmart on May 3, admitted he fired the weapon out the passenger window toward the front of the Dairy Queen, police said.
Cotto said he thought when he shot at the restaurant he would hit brick, police said.
Another passenger in the car told police Cotto had also shot his gun at the church across from the Dairy Queen but didn't cause any damage, court documents state.
Repairs to the Dairy Queen window will cost about $2,500, Frey told police.
One or two of the 15-year-old girls who were passengers in the car may be charged in Lake Juvenile Court, Ogden said.