HOBART | The Board of Works has taken under advisement bids for citywide curb and sidewalk improvement work.
The four bids ranged from $98,899 from Hooks Concrete Construction to $240,527 from Rieth-Riley.
A contract will likely be awarded at the April 3 Board of Works meeting, officials said.
Although the improvements are being made at several locations throughout the city, priority is being given to crossings at Ridgeview and George Earle schools, officials said.
The work will make the crossings in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The city will pay for the cost of the improvements through its share of this year's Community Development Block Grant program, officials said.
The city's estimated share of the block grant funding is $120,000.
The work will include upgrades to about 40 ramps which are not ADA compliant, new sidewalks and curbs and the addition of pedestrian warning signs and striping.
The city drafted a mandated ADA transition plan late last year, pointing out areas of the city that still need to be improved to meet ADA guidelines.
Mayor Brian Snedecor said this isn't the city's first attempt to make improvements to aging sidewalks and crossings.
Snedecor said the city in the past has been making improvements using internal funds.