MERRILLVILLE | This season, holiday shoppers in Northwest Indiana can give cheer to area senior citizens by participating in the Be a Santa to a Senior program.
The program, sponsored by the local Home Instead Senior Care office in partnership with residents and volunteers, helps ensure isolated seniors receive gifts and companionship during a difficult time for many, especially those who live alone or have lost spouses and loved ones.
An estimated 27 percent of people 65 and older (10.8 million people) are widowed, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Further, the Administration on Aging reports about 28 percent (11.8 million) non-institutionalized people 65 and older live alone.
Retailers participating in Be a Santa to a Senior are displaying Christmas trees through Dec. 11 that feature ornaments with seniors’ first names and their gift requests. Holiday shoppers can pick an ornament from these trees, buy the items listed and return them unwrapped to the store, with the ornament attached.
Be a Santa to a Senior trees are at:
- Towne Centre Senior Retirement Community, 7250 Arthur Blvd., Merrillville
- Brookdale Sterling House of Merrillville, 8253 Virginia St., Merrillville
- Horizon Bank, 8590 Broadway, Merrillville
- Spring Mill Health Campus, 101 W. 87th Ave., Merrillville
- Miller’s Senior Living Community, 5911 Lute Road, Portage
- Rittenhouse Senior Living of Portage, 6235 Sterling Creek Road, Portage
- Brentwood at Hobart, 1420 St. Mary Circle, Hobart
The local Home Instead Senior Care office will enlist volunteers from its staff, senior-care business associates, nonprofit workers and others to collect, wrap and distribute the gifts to local seniors.
“Be a Santa to a Senior gives back to older adults in our area, many of whom have had significant, positive influence on our lives,” said Sandi Haywood, owner of the local Home Instead Senior Care office. “During this season of giving, we encourage shoppers to buy a little extra to say thank you to these community members.”
For more information, visit BeaSantatoaSenior.com or call (219) 793-9023.