Lake Ridge Schools
John Luke, file, The Times

CALUMET TOWNSHIP — Administrators closed Longfellow New Tech Elementary School on Tuesday after a transformer malfunction in one classroom filled the building with light smoke.

Students were sent home as a precautionary measure, district Superintendent Sharon Johnson-Shirley said. 

The district's maintenance staff and the Lake Ridge Fire Department were on scene investigating, she said. Maintenance staff previously had been working on the transformer.

The school will resume normal operations Wednesday, she said.

Subcribe to the Times

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for being a loyal subsciber

Your contribution makes our mission possible.

 
0
2
1
0
0

Public safety reporter

Sarah covers crime, federal courts and breaking news for The Times. She joined the paper in 2004 after graduating from Purdue University Calumet.