Dogs spared from Lake Station house fire

2013-11-24T21:15:00Z 2013-11-25T11:22:09Z Dogs spared from Lake Station house fireElvia Malagon elvia.malagon@nwi.com, (219) 933-3246 nwitimes.com
November 24, 2013 9:15 pm  • 

LAKE STATION | About 14 dogs were rescued Sunday night from a garage fire in the 2800 block of Clay Street. 

Lake Station Fire Chief Robert Janes said the fire started at 6 p.m. because of a heat lamp in the garage. The lamp was on top of a dog cage, but a dog in the cage was not injured. 

The fire spread to a nearby wall and was contained to the garage structure, Janes said. None of the animals were seriously injured, and none of the family members in the house were hurt. 

Janes said one emergency worker had to give oxygen to a small brown chihuahua that was shaken up after the fire.

The family living in the house declined to comment Sunday night as they walked out of the house with a large animal cage. 

The dogs were taken to the Humane Society of Hobart where they were checked for injuries.

At the Humane Society, Lake Station Officer Greg Viator and Liz Smith, who works at the center, gently held an oxygen mask over a black puppy. Nearby, another worker held onto a larger dog that they referred to as the mother. 

A worker at the Humane Society said most of the puppies from the fire were lab mixes and chow mixes. There were also a couple of chihuahuas.  

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Should Lake County ask the attorney general's office to mediate in the E-911 consolidation dispute?

View Results