Sign at Super 8 sparks fire; Lowell-area hotel evacuated

2014-02-20T22:15:00Z Sign at Super 8 sparks fire; Lowell-area hotel evacuatedTimes Staff nwitimes.com
February 20, 2014 10:15 pm  • 

LOWELL | A sign at the Super 8 hotel on Ind. 2 sparked an electrical fire Thursday night, fire officials said. 

The fire started at 6:23 p.m. at the hotel, 3423 E. Ind. 2, which is off Interstate 65. Lowell Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Charlie Scott said heavy smoke was seen coming from the hotel when firefighters arrived. 

Firefighters quickly determined the fire was coming from the hotel's sign and put it out in about 15 minutes. 

The fire damaged an unoccupied room and caused some water damage in the building, Scott said. 

The Super 8 was evacuated, but guests were allowed to return to their rooms Thursday night. 

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Lowell

Lowell Town Hall

501 E Main Street Lowell, IN 46356
219.696.7794

Lowell Police Department

1333 E. Commercial Lowell, IN 46356
219.696.0411

Lowell Fire Department

P.O. Box 327
1331 E. Commercial Avenue Lowell, IN 46356
219.696.6144

Lowell Park Board

17105 Cline Avenue Lowell, IN 46356
219.696.1570

Tri–Creek School Corporation

195 West Oakley Avenue, Lowell, IN 46356
219.696.6661

Featured Businesses