LOWELL | A sign at the Super 8 hotel on Ind. 2 sparked an electrical fire Thursday night, fire officials said.
The fire started at 6:23 p.m. at the hotel, 3423 E. Ind. 2, which is off Interstate 65. Lowell Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Charlie Scott said heavy smoke was seen coming from the hotel when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters quickly determined the fire was coming from the hotel's sign and put it out in about 15 minutes.
The fire damaged an unoccupied room and caused some water damage in the building, Scott said.
The Super 8 was evacuated, but guests were allowed to return to their rooms Thursday night.