Generic Fire logo 3

DYER — A man suffered burns in a kitchen fire early Friday at his home, an official said.

Emergency personnel were called just before 1 a.m. to the home in the 100 block of Concord Court for a report of a structure fire, Dyer Fire Chief Thad Stutler said.

Medics with Prompt Ambulance were preparing to take the man to a hospital when firefighters arrived for treatment of burns to several areas of his body, he said.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, Stutler said. The department requested assistance from Munster because of concerns the fire might spread, but firefighters contained it in the kitchen, he said.

A woman in the house was not injured in the fire, Police Chief David Hein said.

The cause of the fire appeared to be related to cooking, Stutler said.

The home sustained fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout, he said. The two residents were displaced.

Subcribe to the Times

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for being a loyal subsciber

Your contribution makes our mission possible.


Public safety reporter

Sarah covers crime, federal courts and breaking news for The Times. She joined the paper in 2004 after graduating from Purdue University Calumet.