MERRILLVILLE | The American Red Cross is urging blood donations during September to help support the initiatives of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and National Sickle Cell Disease Awareness Month.
“Our blood donors help make a difference for many types of patients, including children with cancer and those who need ongoing treatment for sickle cell disease,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region.
According to the American Cancer Society’s webpage, about 11,630 children in the U.S. under the age of 15 will be diagnosed with cancer in 2013.
Blood transfusions also help those who have sickle cell disease, an inherited blood disorder that occurs more commonly in African-Americans, but can also affect other ethnic groups. The distorted red blood cells in SCD patients can cause physical pain, stroke, anemia and organ damage. Although there is no cure at this time, multiple red blood cell transfusions can help protect SCD patients from some of the complications of the disease.
Residents have the opportunity to donate at these upcoming Lake County blood drives:
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. today at Ridge United Methodist Church, 8607 Columbia Ave., Munster.
- 1 to 6 p.m. Monday at the St. John Township Community Center, 1515 U.S. 30, Schererville.
- 2 to 7 p.m. Wednesday in Café A and B at Jean Shepherd Community Center, 3031 Mahoney Drive, Hammond.
- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Sept. 23 at Hobart Community Center, 111 E. Old Ridge Road, Hobart.
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 23 at Allstate, 499 Summit St., Suite B, Crown Point.
- noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 25, in the Athletic Building Gymnasium, Calumet College of St. Joseph, 2400 New York, Hammond. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a $25 shopping spree.
- 7:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 25 and 26 in the PDC Room at Hammond Area Career Center, 5727 Sohl Ave., Hammond.
- 2 to 6 p.m. Sept. 27 at Cabela’s, 7700 Cabela Drive, Hammond. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a Cabela’s $25 gift card.
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 28 in the Children’s Wing at Bethel Church, 10202 Broadway, Crown Point. Come to donate and receive a coupon good for one pint of Culver's Frozen Custard.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 28 at Charter Fitness, 1642 U.S. 41, Schererville.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 28 in the Fellowship Hall at Lowell Church of Christ , 299 N. Burr St., Lowell.
- 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 29 in the gymnasium at Eastlake Baptist Church, 7121 E. U.S. 30, Crown Point.
- 8 a.m. to noon Sept. 30 in The Red Room at Southlake Family YMCA, 1450 S. Court St., Crown Point.
- 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 1 and 2 in the Student Union Library Alumni Hall at Purdue University Calumet, 2200 169th St., Hammond. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a $50 shopping spree.
- 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 3 at St. Matthias Church Hall, 101 Burrell Drive, Crown Point.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 4 in the Community Room at the Gary Public Safety Facility, 555 Polk St., Gary. Come to donate in October and be entered to win a $200 Visa gift card, courtesy of Suburban Propane.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 5 in Café A & B at Jean Shepherd Community Center, 3031 Mahoney Drive, Hammond.
- 8:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Oct. 6 at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 8601 Harrison St., Munster.
- 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 6 at the First Presbyterian Church Hall, 218 S. Court St., Crown Point.
- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 7 in Meeting Room 1 at Crown Point Community Library, 122 N. Main St., Crown Point.
- 1:30 to 6 p.m. Oct. 14 at the VFW Post 717 Hall, 10400 W. 93rd Ave., St. John.
The Merrillville Donor Center, 791 E. 83rd Ave., Merrillville, is open from 12:30 to 5 p.m. every Monday and from 8 a.m. until noon the first and third Saturday of each month.