Candle used during power outage starts fire, displaces family of nine

2013-06-28T20:45:00Z 2013-06-28T23:44:04Z Candle used during power outage starts fire, displaces family of nineLauri Harvey Keagle lauri.keagle@nwi.com, (219) 852-4311 nwitimes.com

MERRILLVILLE | A couple and their seven children were in temporary housing Friday after a candle lit during a power outage accidentally set their house on fire, officials said.

Crews were called at 1:30 a.m. to the home in the 3700 block of West 75th Avenue for a report of smoke coming from the building, Merrillville Fire Marshall Phil Topor said. When firefighters arrived, they found fire throughout the home.

Crews extinguished the blaze within 30 minutes, Topor said. No one was injured in the fire, which caused $100,000 in damage to the single-family home.

The family has insurance and was placed in temporary housing, Topor said.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Merrillville

Town Hall

7820 Broadway Ave. Merrillville, IN 46410
219.769.5711
Fax: 219.756.6170

Police Department

7820 Broadway Merrillville, IN 46410
Emergency: 911
Non-emergency 219.769.3531
Administration: 219.769.3722
Crime Tip Hotline: 219.756.6180 ext. 54

Fire Department

26 W. 73rd Ave. Merrillville, IN 46410
Emergency: 911
Non-emergency 219.769.0004
Fax: 219.756.6170

Parks & Recreation

5750 Tyler Place Merrillville, IN 46410
Phone: 219.980.5911

Lake County Public Library

1919 West 81st Avenue Merrillville, IN 46410
Phone: 219.769.3541

Merrillville Community School Corporation

6701 Delaware Street Merrillville, IN 46410
Phone: 219.650.5300

Latest Local Offers