MERRILLVILLE | Three people were hospitalized after an early Tuesday residential fire near Meadow Lane and Highland Road.
Smoke had filled the home when firefighters arrived about 3:45 a.m., Merrillville Fire Marshal Phil Topor said.
The fire was in a bedroom, and firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, Topor said.
Three residents at the home were taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, he said. Their condition was not available Tuesday afternoon.
The fire, which was ruled accidental, caused about $5,000 in damage to the home, Topor said. An extension cord started the blaze, he said.