MERRILLVILLE | Each June 14 countries around the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day. Today marks the 10th anniversary of the campaign which is sponsored by the World Health Organization to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and to thank voluntary unpaid donors for their lifesaving gift.
“Blood transfusions help save millions of lives worldwide every year,” said Tracy Duncan Fox, spokesperson for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “An adequate blood supply can be assured only through regular donations by voluntary unpaid blood donors. World Blood Donor Day offers a special opportunity to honor those who donate blood and encourage others to join them.”
According to the World Health Organization, just 62 countries have blood supplies that are based on close to 100 percent voluntary unpaid blood donations and 40 countries still dependent on family donors and even paid donors. The organization’s goal is for all countries to obtain all their blood supplies from voluntary unpaid donors by 2020.
Upcoming American Red Cross blood drives in Lake County:
- 1 to 6 p.m. Monday at St. John Township Community Center, 1515 U.. 30 in Schererville.
- 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Classrooms A & B, Holy Spirit Church, 7667 E. 109th Ave., Crown Point.
- 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. June 22 in the Fellowship Hall at St. Joan of Arc Church, 200 E. 78th Ave., Merrillville.
- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. June 24 at the Hobart Community Center, 111 E. Old Ridge Road in Hobart.
- 2 to 6 p.m. June 24 at St. John’s United Church of Christ, 1288 S. Indiana Ave., Crown Point.
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 26 in Student Union Library Conference Room 321 at Purdue University Calumet, 2200 169th St., Hammond.
- 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. June 27 in the Club House at Wicker Memorial Park, 8554 Indianapolis Blvd., Highland. Come to donate and receive a T-shirt and a Culver's Frozen Custard coupon good for one pint of frozen custard.
The Merrillville Donor Center, 791 E. 83rd Ave., is open from 12:30 to 5 p.m. every Monday and from 8 a.m. until noon the first and third Saturday of each month
To schedule an appointment, call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org for more information. Individuals 17 and older (16 with parental permission in Indiana and Ohio) who meet weight requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Bring your Red Cross blood donor card or another form of positive ID when you coming to donate.