MUNSTER | A fire at the Humane Society Calumet Area late Tuesday caused a temporary evacuation of its animals.
Dave Pelc, battalion chief for the Munster Fire Department, said firefighters were dispatched just before 11 p.m. because of a fire alarm at the building at 421 45th Ave.
Pelc said flames were coming from a dryer in the laundry room and there was smoke throughout the northwest part of the building.
The fire was contained to the laundry room, and there weren't any animals injured, Pelc said. Firefighters continued investigating late Tuesday how the fire started.
Firefighters were called to the humane society earlier Tuesday at about 7 p.m. as workers were getting ready to leave for the day.
Rachel Delaney, the humane society's director, said workers smelled smoke coming from the laundry room. She said the machines in the laundry room were off.
Pelc said firefighters spent about 45 minutes to 50 minutes trying to find where the smell was coming from but never found smoke or flames.
Delaney said a medical staff was scheduled to examine the animals late Tuesday. The center is currently housing 350 animals including dogs, cats, rats and rabbits.
She said many of the animals were scared but none appeared to have any injuries.
"They should be able to go back in tonight," Delaney said. "There was no extensive damage, none that I've seen."