Sentencing delayed in arson case

2012-09-07T20:00:00Z Sentencing delayed in arson caseBob Kasarda bob.kasarda@nwi.com, (219) 548-4345 nwitimes.com
September 07, 2012 8:00 pm  • 

VALPARAISO | Sentencing was postponed Friday for a New Chicago man found guilty last month of setting fire to his former girlfriend's car in Portage and intimidating her after she broke up with him.

The sentencing was delayed until Sept. 28 for Brandon Scroggin, 28. The delay was requested by his attorney, Bob Harper, who argued Scroggin had not received a copy of his presentence report.

Harper also said he needed more time to investigate an additional charge pending against Scroggin involving the same woman.

Deputy Prosecutor Trista Hudson said the pending invasion of privacy charge was filed in March, two months before the charges were filed in the case resulting in the conviction.

A Sept. 27 hearing is scheduled for the invasion of privacy charge pending before Porter Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Thode.

Scroggin faces a maximum of either 19.5 or 27 years behind bars, depending on how his habitual offender status is applied to the case, Hudson said.

He was convicted of felony arson, intimidation, receiving stolen auto parts and misdemeanor criminal mischief.

The former girlfriend told Portage police that after she broke up with Scroggin on March 10, he began calling her and sending text messages begging her to take him back and threatened she would be sorry if she didn't respond, court records state.

The woman told police Scroggin said he set fire to her car and she later discovered the damage.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

National Video