CHICAGO | The Times captured six Peter Lisagor Awards for Exemplary Journalism on Friday.
The 36th annual awards were given by the Chicago Headline Club at the Union League Club.
Competing mostly in the category of daily newspapers with 250,000 or less circulation, The Times staffers were finalists in 12 categories, winning five and taking an additional first place in the category of "Non-daily publication with circulation less than 20,000" for business reporting in The Times BusINess magazine.
Winning entries included:
• Science, health, technology, environmental reporting — Bowdeya Tweh, Lauri Keagle and Vanessa Renderman for "Fork in the road: Food deserts in NWI leave many yearning for access to healthier food."
• Investigative reporting — Marisa Kwiatkowski, "Children in peril"
• Sports Story — Steve Hanlon, "His story"
• Business reporting — Keith Benman, "Hitting the roof"
• Lu Ann Franklin, "Putting their chips on the table" for The Times BusINess magazine
• Feature writing — Sarah Tompkins, "Paula Cooper: A Second Chance"