LAPORTE | In honor of National Heart Month this month, Indiana University Health offers a variety of activities for the public.
• Heart Health Awareness Day – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. today at IU Health LaPorte Hospital, 1007 Lincolnway (lower level): Colleagues will perform blood pressure checks, provide education and prizes at no charge to attendees. A special prize of a free adult Heart Cart screening will be provided to one lucky winner.
• Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation Open House – 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at 901 Lincolnway, Suite 101, in LaPorte: The public is invited to tour and learn about cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation, where specialists conduct a comprehensive program to assist cardiac patients. Free blood pressure checks, education materials on heart health, heart healthy snacks and presentation on “Know your numbers” and “Walk to Wellness” programs will also be provided.
• Love Your Heart Zumba – 5 to 5:45 p.m. Feb. 24 at the IU Health LaPorte Heart & Vascular Center, 901 Lincolnway: This fitness class is free and space is limited. Participants are encouraged to wear red. Call (219) 326-2309 to register.
• Love Your Heart Ride 101 – 5:15 to 5:45 p.m. and 6 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 25 at The Crossing, 1203 Washington St., in LaPorte: The public is invited to join the fun of this introductory indoor cycling class. Class size is limited. Participants are encouraged to wear red. Call (219) 326-2309 to register.
• Heart Cart: This discounted screening provides a comprehensive picture of one’s cardiovascular health for $50. For more information or to register, call (219) 326-2626:
7 to 11:30 a.m. Feb. 20 at the IU Health LaPorte Heart & Vascular Center, 901 Lincolnway
7:20 10:40 a.m. Feb. 26 at the IU Health LaPorte Heart & Vascular Center, 901 Lincolnway (available to high school students ages 15 to 18 only)
• Walk to Wellness – This four-week program is designed to assist in minimizing the risk factors for cardiovascular and pulmonary disease through exercise and education. February enrollments are offered at half the original price for $15 only. Call (219) 326-2457 or (219) 326-2626 to register.