LAPORTE | Indiana University Health La Porte Hospital offers a Spanish/English Medical Interpreters Course taught by MCA (Medical Communications Ambassadors) to the public.
The ten-week course is accredited by the International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) and
includes Saturday classes on the following dates: March 22-29, April 5-12-19-26, May 3-10-17-24. Saturday classes are from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. 10 hours of practicum and clinical time are included. The classes will be held at IU Health La Porte Hospital, 1007 Lincolnway, room B113, lower level.
The course includes 70 hours of classroom training; 10 hours of practicum, pre- and post-tests, a midterm exam, final take home exam, and final oral/written exams. Participants will:
• Acquire the core knowledge and skills needed to handle advanced medical interpretation situations
• Learn how to organize and prioritize the knowledge needed for each medical encounter
• Learn the national code of ethics, standards of practice, roles of the interpreter and types of interpreting
• Learn advanced anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
• Learn memory and note taking techniques
• Learn about the role culture plays in interpreting
• Extensive role play
The course is designed for individuals who are bilingual in English/Spanish who have a desire to learn how to be a professional interpreter, and wish to further their education and expertise. Pre-requisites include a completion of a language proficiency and entry exam administered by the course instructor. To schedule an appointment, call 219.326.1234, ext. 4629.
Cost is $800 and includes textbook and all training materials, and is payable by cash, money order or credit card. To reserve a spot in the class, call 219.326.2322.