LA PORTE | The La Porte Hospital Auxiliary gave a monetary gift totaling $32,000 to Indiana University Health La Porte Hospital to improve the overall quality of healthcare provided to the community.
The Auxiliary, in conjunction with the La Porte Hospital Foundation, gave the gifts through a philanthropic “wish list” generated by various departments within the hospital. Departments utilize the funds in purchasing clinical equipment and patient items.
IU Health La Porte Surgery Services, for example, received a total of $13,000. Monies helped purchase video fiberoptic laryngoscope equipment, which produces magnified HD images to aid anesthesiologists while preparing patients for surgery.
Director of Surgery Lisa Pinkstaff said, “The surgeons, anesthesiologists, colleagues and I are so grateful for the Auxiliary for their generosity. Because of them, we are able to purchase the latest clinical equipment. These gifts will not only help us do our jobs better, but will also create a safer, more positive experience for our patients.”
Other funded items included:
• $3,000 to IU Health La Porte Community Health Center to provide direct patient care to those with little to no income or lack of health insurance
• $3,000 for medical equipment for respiratory services
• $2,500 to provide CPR training for Hispanic community members
• $2,500 for medical equipment in the Pathology department
• $2,000 to the IU Health La Porte Heart & Vascular Center for stuffed animals, books…etc. for pediatric patients and $1,400 for patient lounge chairs to make hospital visits as comfortable as possible
• $1,200 for educational materials for heart failure patients and medical equipment for transitional care
• $1,000 to IU Health La Porte Pediatric Rehabilitation Services for gaming equipment
• $1,000 to IU Health La Porte Hospital Family Chapel to provide spiritual care support for patients and their loved ones
• $900 to IU Health La Porte Behavioral Health Services for patient educational material
Auxiliary member and Philanthropy Committee Chairperson Marcia Morris said, “These gifts help the staff of IU Health La Porte Hospital take care of our community to keep us as healthy as possible. That’s what the Auxiliary is all about.”
The La Porte Hospital Auxiliary supports IU Health La Porte Hospital by providing volunteer services. The group generates its charitable revenues from a variety of sources including the Wishing Well Gift Shop, located just off the hospital’s main lobby, and various fundraisers conducted within the hospital. The philanthropic gifts help support the organization’s mission in making a positive difference in communities.
For more information or to become a volunteer, call 219.326.2338.