LAPORTE | Since 1983 Indiana University Health LaPorte Hospital, the LaPorte Hospital Foundation and the LaPorte Hospital Auxiliary have sponsored scholarships and awards/loans to provide financial assistance to students pursuing healthcare careers. Through the combined efforts, more than $100,000 was distributed to 42 students in 2013.
The following Auxiliary scholarships are available in 2014:
• Auxiliary Scholarships- $750 available to first-time applicants. Renewals of $1,000 available for students applying for second year, based on satisfactory academic progress and need.
• Friends of Auxiliary-$750 available.
• Harold and Marcy Bowen Scholarship-$750 available.
(Students must be a freshman or sophomore and enrolled in a healthcare program at an accredited school.)
The Foundation offers the following scholarships:
• Elizabeth & Eugene Siefker Scholarship-$500 available to a student enrolled in a healthcare program.
• Foundation Scholarships-Available to undergraduate juniors, seniors or fifth-year students in degrees requiring five years of study in any healthcare program. Scholarship amount determined by Scholarship Committee.
• Hrankja Scholarship-Available to students entering their junior or senior year of a Bachelor of Nursing program.
• Magnuson Scholarship-Available to IU Health LaPorte Hospital employees* seeking an advanced degree in a healthcare program. Amount established by Scholarship Committee. Recipient may apply for one additional year (maximum of two years).
• Richard M. Sisson Scholarship-$1,000 available to students enrolled in a nursing program.
Students eligible for all scholarships must be one of the following:
• Resident of the IU Health LaPorte and Starke hospitals service area, which includes LaPorte and Starke counties as well as eastern Porter County, northern Pulaski County, Marshall County, northwest Kosciusko County, western St. Joseph County and southwest Berrien County, Michigan.
• Current employee or child of an employee of IU Health LaPorte or Starke hospitals, IU Health LaPorte Physicians or IU Health Lakeshore Surgicare.
• LaPorte Hospital Auxiliary member or volunteer.
Applications available at iuhealth.org/laporte/foundation/scholarships.
All completed applications and required documents must be returned or postmarked by March 15. Interviews may be required, and semi-finalists will be notified of their status. Final selections will be announced in June.
For more information, call (877) 265-4539, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit iuhealth.org/laportefoundation.