Six pets die in LaPorte area house fire; family displaced

2013-09-03T18:52:00Z 2013-09-03T22:30:14Z Six pets die in LaPorte area house fire; family displacedStan Maddux Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
September 03, 2013 6:52 pm  • 

LAPORTE COUNTY | Four dogs and two cats died in a LaPorte area house fire over the holiday weekend.

A rabbit inside a cage in a bedroom survived.

"It breaks our hearts we lost six of them all at once," said Kim Bianco, whose family returned from a festival Saturday night to find firefighters at their home in the 3100 block of East 400 South.

It's believed the fire started in the utility room, perhaps in the lint of a clothes dryer.

She said the rabbit survived because the animal was near the first window firefighters broke out to get inside, preventing smoke from building up near its cage.

The house sustained heavy damage and the family was put up by the Red Cross at a local motel until they can move in with relatives, Bianco said.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About LaPorte

Mayor's Office

801 Michigan Avenue La Porte, IN 46350
219.362.0151

Police Department

1206 Michigan Avenue La Porte, IN 46350
219.362.9446

Fire Department

809 West 18th St. La Porte, IN 46350
219.362.3456 or 219.362.8417

Parks and Recreation

250 Pine Lake Avenue La Porte, IN 46350
219.326.9600

La Porte Community School Corporation

1921 "A" Street, La Porte, IN 46350
Phone: 219.362.7056

Featured Businesses