Dog, hamster die in Michigan City house fire

2013-03-25T10:26:00Z 2013-03-26T07:49:03Z Dog, hamster die in Michigan City house fireStan Maddux Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
March 25, 2013 10:26 am  • 

MICHIGAN CITY | A pet hamster and dog died in a house fire near Michigan City on Sunday night.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 7700 block of West Arndt Court about 7 p.m. after the homeowner, Dan White, returned to find smoke coming out of his garage and roof.

Coolspring Township Fire Captain Wes Rogers said fire damage was contained to the living room and basement of the single story ranch home.

Rogers estimated structure damage at $15,000.

Nobody was home at the time but a hamster and dog inside the residence died, apparently from smoke inhalation, he said.

Rogers said the fire began in the basement and there are indications some type of electrical problem triggered the blaze.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Michigan City

Office of the Mayor

100 East Michigan Boulevard Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.1400

Police Department

102 West Second Street Michigan City, IN 46360
219.874.3221

Fire Department

2510 East Michigan Boulevard Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.1440

Parks and Recreation

100 E. Michigan Blvd. Suite 6
Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.1506

Michigan City Area Schools

408 S. Carroll Avenue Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.2000