Michigan City boy burned in candle accident

2013-02-11T20:15:00Z Michigan City boy burned in candle accidentStan Maddux Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
February 11, 2013 8:15 pm  • 

LAPORTE COUNTY | An 8-year-old Michigan City boy was recovering Monday from burns he suffered last weekend when his shirt came into contact with a candle in Kingsford Heights.

The boy, whose name was not released, was taken to the hospital by ambulance with first- and second-degree burns, according to Kingsford Heights police.

The boy's condition was not known, but Kingsford Heights Town Marshal Chris Fine said the boy went outside before being taken to the hospital because the cold temperatures felt good on his back.

The boy and his mother were visiting family members Saturday night at a home in the 400 block of Fernway Road, police said.

There was a candle burning on a living room table and the boy was playing with other children when he brushed up against the candle, catching the back of his shirt on fire, Fine said.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Michigan City

Office of the Mayor

100 East Michigan Boulevard Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.1400

Police Department

102 West Second Street Michigan City, IN 46360
219.874.3221

Fire Department

2510 East Michigan Boulevard Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.1440

Parks and Recreation

100 E. Michigan Blvd. Suite 6
Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.1506

Michigan City Area Schools

408 S. Carroll Avenue Michigan City, IN 46360
219.873.2000