The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC) is sponsoring a 30-day public comment period and four public meetings on a proposed change to the Transportation Improvement Program for Northwest Indiana (TIP). The proposed change is contained in TIP Amendment Number 13. The comment period will begin on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 and end on Thursday, April 10, 2014.
The changes in Amendment No. 13 would add three new transit projects to the FY 2014-17 TIP. The proposed projects are as follows:
• NICTD- Section 5309 - Tier II Environmental Impact Study for Expansion of Commuter Rail (West Lake extension). Funds requested include $522,290 federal, and $2,477,710 local, for a total of $3,000,000.
• Michigan City – CMAQ 3-Year Demonstration Grant for the La Porte County “Triangle” transit service. Funds requested include $892,370 federal, and $223,093 local, for a total of $1,115,463 over three years.
• Michigan City – CMAQ -One (1) Expansion Transit Vehicle for the “Triangle” service. Funds requested include $120,000 federal, and $30,000 local, for a total of $150,000.
The proposed Triangle Service is a partnership among Michigan City Public Transit, LaPorte TransPorte, La Porte County Board of Commissioners, and Purdue University North Central. Michigan City Public Transit is the lead agency. The proposed service would offer six (6) round trips daily (3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon) between the cities and the university.
The first public meeting will be held on Saturday, March 22, at the Munster Town Hall, 1005 Ridge Road, Munster from 10:00 am to Noon.
The public meetings for La Porte County are all on Wednesday, March 26, 2014, in the following locations:
1) Purdue University North Central, U.S. 421, Westville, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm, Rm. 144 in the Library-Student-Faculty building
2) LaPorte City Hall, City Council Chambers, 801 Michigan, LaPorte
3) Michigan City City Hall, EOC Room (downstairs), 100 E. Michigan Blvd., Michigan City
Comments may also be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling NIRPC at 219-763-6060 ext. 160, or by mailing to NIRPC at 6100 Southport Road, Portage, IN 46368. TTY users may call Relay Indiana at 711. Additional information may be found at www.nirpc.org.
Requests for information in alternate format may be directed to Mary Thorne at email@example.com, or by calling NIRPC 219-763-6060, ext. 131 at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting you plan to attend.
The proposed amendment will go before the NIRPC Transportation Policy Committee on April 8 at 9:00 am for their recommendation. It will be presented to the NIRPC Full Commission for adoption at their April 17 meeting.
NIRPC is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and regional council of local governments (COG) for the three counties of Northwest Indiana. NIRPC provides the forum for local elected officials, regional leadership, and citizens to address regional issues relating to transportation, the environment and community and economic development. NIRPC seeks to develop consensus solutions with the broadest participation.
For more information, please contact NIRPC Outreach Coordinator Stephen Sostaric at 219-763-6060, ext. 155. TTY users may contact him by calling Relay Indiana at 711.