Cause of fatal Lake Village fire determined

2013-03-04T09:20:00Z Cause of fatal Lake Village fire determinedLauri Harvey Keagle lauri.keagle@nwi.com, (219) 852-4311 nwitimes.com

LAKE VILLAGE | A fire that killed a 71-year-old Lake Village woman Friday was caused by a faulty power vent on a basement hot water heater, officials said.

Lake Township Volunteer Fire Chief Matt Rigby said Darlene Denton, 71, was trapped in her home at 5285 N. Ind. 10 by the blaze and was found in the living room.

She was pronounced dead at 7:12 a.m. in the emergency room at Franciscan St. Anthony Health in Crown Point, according to the Lake County coroner's office.

The coroner's office report said Denton died in a field east of her home of smoke inhalation. Rigby disputed the report, saying she was trapped in the home by the fire.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Which is the best high school football rivalry?

View Results