BURNS HARBOR | Arnell Kia suffered significant damage to its service shop in a blaze sparked by an auto fire in there late Wednesday, Burns Harbor Fire Chief William Arney said.
Firefighters were called to the dealership at 241 Melton Road at 11:17 p.m. by a fire alarm in the business. Arney said when crews arrived, they saw heavy black smoke and flames coming from the west of the building where the service shop is located.
"When we got there, we had fire and smoke to the point where we couldn't see," Arney said.
Burns Harbor quickly called a first alarm for assistance in battling the blaze, which brought firefighters from Porter, Chesterton and South Haven fire departments to the scene. A second alarm brought help from Ogden Dunes, Pine Township and Union Township, Arney said.
Crews stopped the fire before it hit the showroom, but the service area suffered significant smoke and water damage, he said. Firefighters left the scene at 1:17 a.m.
Crews determined the blaze began with a fire in a vehicle in the service shop that had been brought in for repairs. No one was injured in the fire, Arney said.
Owner Dave Arnell said the showroom, which was not damaged in the fire, was open for business Thursday.
"I'm just happy no one was injured," Arnell said.
Arnell said a 2015 Kia Sorento brought into the shop suffered an electrical problem with the trailer hitch and is believed to have sparked the blaze. The vehicle was not purchased at the Arnell Kia, he said.