PORTER COUNTY | Ordinary people can accomplish some extraordinary things when they volunteer. Individuals and organizations can seize the moment and share in honoring America’s volunteers this spring.
This year’s National Volunteer Week is April 21 through 27. The theme “Celebrate Service” captures the meaning of what this week is about — honoring the millions of people who dedicate themselves to taking action and solving problems in their communities. National Volunteer Week is also an opportunity for volunteers to inspire and encourage others to seek out and participate in activities that cause a positive change in their communities
“Everywhere you look, you’ll find a story about ordinary people accomplishing extraordinary things through volunteer service, including blood donation,” said Tracy Duncan Fox, spokesperson for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “And that’s cause for celebration.”
Area blood drives:
• 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at Crisman Elementary School in the gym, 6161 Old Porter Road, Portage. This is a Pint Size Hero blood drive.
• 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Morgan Township High School, 299 S. Ind. 49, Valparaiso. Come to donate and receive a T-shirt at this Pint Size Hero blood drive.
• 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday at Wheeler High School in the gym, 587 W. County Road 300 North, Valparaiso. Come to donate and receive a T-shirt and a coupon for a free pint of frozen custard courtesy of Culver’s Frozen Custard.
• 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. April 15 at Boone Grove Elementary in the gym, 325 W. County Road 550 South, Boone Grove. This is a Pint Size Hero blood drive.
• 2 to 6 p.m. April 16 at Valparaiso University School of Law, 656 Greenwich St., Valparaiso.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 17 at Ivy Tech Community College, 3100 Ivy Tech Drive, Valparaiso. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a $25 shopping spree.
• 2 to 6 p.m. April 18 at Indiana University Northwest in the Portage University Center, 6260 Central Ave., Portage.
• 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. April 19 at the YMCA of Portage, 3100 Willowcreek Road, Portage.
• 2 to 4:30 p.m. April 23 at Porter Starke Services, 701 Wall St., Valparaiso.
• 9:30 a.m. to noon April 23 at Purdue North Central Porter, 600 Vale Park Road, Valparaiso.
• 2 to 7 p.m. April 24 at First Christian Church in the Fellowship Hall, 1507 Glendale Boulevard, Valparaiso.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 24 at Kouts High School in the gymnasium foyer, 302 E. College Ave., Kouts. Come to donate at this Pint Size Heroes blood drive and receive a T-shirt.
• 3:45 to 7:45 p.m. April 24 at Cooks Corners Elementary School, 358 Bullseye Lake Road, Valparaiso. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 27 at Smile Brightly, 6080 Lute Road, Portage.
• 1:30 to 6:30 p.m. April 29 at Portage Christian School, 3040 Arlene St., Portage. Come to donate and receive a T-shirt.
• 3 to 7 p.m. April 30 at the Boys & Girls Club of Porter County in the gymnasium, 5895 Evergreen, Portage.
To schedule an appointment to donate, call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org for more information.