Every day, hospital patients depend on steady and consistent blood donations from volunteer donors for the blood they may need for ongoing and emergency medical care.
Since February is American Heart Month, it’s a great time to put your heart into a worthwhile cause: donating blood at an American Red Cross blood drive to help hospital patients who require blood transfusion.
“Blood donations help many types of patients, including cardiac patients who are one of the leading users of blood and blood products,” said Tracy Fox, Communications Manager, with the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the Red Cross. “When individuals roll up their sleeve, they help build the blood supply. This is important anytime, but especially during the cold, wintry months when blood donations tend to decline. It’s important that the blood is on the shelf when hospital patients need a transfusion.”
Make an appointment to donate blood at redcrossblood.org or (800) 733-2767.
Area blood drives
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at Opportunity Enterprises in the meeting room, 2801 Evans Ave., Valparaiso.
• 1:30 to 6 p.m. Wednesday at Kouts High School in the gymnasium foyer, 302 E. College Ave. in Kouts.
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at Portage Christian School at 3040 Arlene St. in Portage. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday at the YMCA of Portage, 3100 Willowcreek Road, Portage.
• 2 to 6 p.m. Friday at Thomas Jefferson Middle School in the cafeteria, 1600 Roosevelt Road, Valparaiso. Come to donate at this Future Blood Donors blood drive and receive an American Red Cross water bottle.
• 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. JSaturdayat Walmart, 2400 Morthland Drive, Valparaiso.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Jan. 29 at Hebron Elementary School in the cafeteria, 307 S. Main St., Hebron. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 4 to 8 p.m. Jan. 30 at South Haven Elementary School in the gymnasium, 395 Midway Drive, Valparaiso. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 30 at Lakeside Wealth Management, 407 W. Indiana Ave., Chesterton.
• 2 to 5 p.m. Jan. 30 at Indiana Furniture and Mattress, 1807 E. Lincolnway, Valparaiso.
• 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 30 at Wheeler High School in the gymnasium, 587 W. County Road 300 North, Valparaiso.
• 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 31 at Addison Pointe Health and Rehabilitation Center, 780 Dickinson Road, Chesterton.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at Washington Evangelical Free Church in the gymnasium, 3405 LaPorte Ave., Valparaiso.
• 12:30 to 6 p.m. at the Eagles Lodge in the Social Hall, 805 Elm St., Valparaiso.
• 2 to 7 p.m. Feb. 5 at First Christian Church in the Fellowship Hall, 1507 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso.
• Noon to 6 p.m. Feb. 6 at St. Paul Lutheran Church in the Meeting Hall, 106 E. County Road 1100 North, Chesterton.
• 1 to 5 p.m. Feb. 6 at Valparaiso University School of Law, 656 Greenwich St., Valparaiso.
• 2 to 8 p.m. Feb. 11 at Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness in the Fitness Center, 810 Michael Drive, Chesterton.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 11 at Ivy Tech Community College in the South Commons Room 106 & 110, 3100 Ivy Tech Drive, Valparaiso. Come to donate and receive a Culver's Frozen Custard coupon good for one pint of frozen custard.