The beach at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, normally closed after sunset, will remain open to the public later than normal Tuesday so residents can watch the Chesterton/Duneland Chamber of Commerce Fireworks on the Lakefront.
This shoreline usually is closed to public use 30 minutes after sunset.
To accommodate the fireworks event, the shoreline from Dune Acres to Lake View will be open until 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Other park regulations, including prohibiting personal use fireworks on the beach and using glass containers on the beach, will remain in effect.
The following areas will remain open until 11:30 p.m. Tuesday:
• Wabash Avenue parking lots and restrooms
• Kemil access (East State Park Road) parking lots and restrooms
• Dunbar parking lot and restroom
• Lake View parking lot and restroom
• Beach below the toe of the dune and park waters from the west end of West Road in Dune Acres to Lake View
Officials remind residents there are no fees charged for parking in National Park Service parking lots, but, parking is extremely limited and lots are expected to fill long before sunset.
If the fireworks event is rained out and rescheduled, the park’s open hours will not change on Tuesday, and the regulations as amended will apply to the rain date of July 5.