Boone Twp. considers calling for recount

2013-05-15T21:11:00Z Boone Twp. considers calling for recountBy Phil Wieland, (219) 548-4352

HEBRON | A decision whether to seek a recount of the four-vote defeat of the May 7 Boone Township Schools referendum will be made in the next couple of days.

Superintendent George Letz said he will attend Friday's Porter County elections board meeting when the results are officially approved before deciding on his recommendation to the School Board. The district would then have to hold a special meeting to approve the step.

Time is a factor because the School Bboard would have to submit petitions asking for the recount signed by 109 people who voted in the special election to the election board by Tuesday. Depending on what the election board says about the final count, Letz said he might ask for a list of those who voted.

The election postmortem was brief during Wednesday's School Board meeting. Parent and substitute teacher Stephanie Mathews probably spoke for many in the room when she said, "I took it hard. Wednesday (after the election) was not a good day."

Mathews added, "Now that it's over, we have to work to make it better, even with less people. We all have to be positive."

Letz said the administration is working on various scenarios. He's been talking to the teachers to see how many people plan to retire after the school year so he will have an idea how many more might need to be laid off. He expects to have a final count May 24.

"Everything is open," he said. "Both classified and certified personnel. The salaries of the teachers are higher, and they have more fringes than the classified staff. The teachers' aides are very helpful to the teachers, so we will try to save those positions also."

No salary increases have been granted for several years, and Letz said cutting personnel means cutting programs since 90 percent of the general fund is salaries and benefits. He said he will be having a lot of dialogue with the teachers, and he's been talking to board members individually about the possible scenarios.

He said no decision has been made whether to resubmit the referendum to the voters in the fall.

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses



Should Indiana continue to fund the RDA?

View Results