Student with unloaded gun removed from Kouts Middle School

2012-05-08T15:26:00Z 2012-05-09T12:11:04Z Student with unloaded gun removed from Kouts Middle SchoolBy Jeff Burton jeff.burton@nwi.com, (219) 548-4354 nwitimes.com

KOUTS | An eighth-grader could face a yearlong suspension for bringing an unloaded handgun to school Tuesday, officials said.

East Porter County Schools Superintendent Rod Gardin said a student at Kouts Middle School was removed by police Tuesday morning after students said the boy had been seen with a handgun.

"They were alerted by two students and a staff member," Gardin said.

The student never threatened anyone, or pointed the gun at anyone, Gardin said.

The superintendent credited the district's school safety specialist and Kouts police with ending the situation within minutes of becoming aware and said this is the first time the district has dealt with such a situation.

Gardin said the boy faces up to a one-year suspension. A state statute stipulates any student who brings a firearm onto school property can face a suspension of up to 365 days.

Gardin declined to say why the boy brought the gun to school.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Poll

Loading…

Who do you support for the U.S. House of Representatives in District 1?

View Results