PORTAGE | Kindergarten Round Up in the Portage Township Schools will be held from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m., 1 to 2:30 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m. April 2 at each elementary school for children who will be 5 years old on or before Aug. 1.
Parents may register online prior to visiting the schools. Bring the child to kindergarten round-up and receive a "Bright Beginnings" pack with supplies and activities to help prepare the child for kindergarten.
Start the registration process online by going to http://registration.portage.k12.in.us and clicking on the "start" button. This process will require about 30 minutes, will collect all of the necessary information on the child and will provide any additional forms.
If a computer is not available, parents may complete the online process at the school in which the child will be attending.
Parents will also sign up to bring their child back in August for kindergarten assessment.
Parents need to bring the child’s:
· Board of Health birth certificate
· Proof of Immunization (Board of Health or physician verified)
· Social Security number, if available
· Guardianship papers, if applicable
· Two documents to verify residency, including lease agreement, mortgage papers, driver's license or valid federal/state ID, NIPSCO or water and/or sewer bill with the home mailing address, home telephone or cellular telephone bill.
Parents are encouraged to bring their child to the school to become familiar with the setting.
Information on kindergarten will be distributed. Fees will not be collected until registration in July.
The parents of children who will turn 5 on Aug. 2 and before Sept. 1, may request a waiver of the state-adopted kindergarten school entrance date. Requests for a waiver of the entrance date will be accepted at each school until Monday, Aug. 4.