PORTAGE — A 56-year-old Portage man was saved from a heroin overdose Tuesday night after paramedics used naloxone to reverse the effects of the drug.
Police were called to the 5500 block of Aspin about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday on the report of a man who had fallen.
When police arrived, they found the victim unconscious on the bathroom floor. The victim’s son told police his father had used heroin. Police relayed the message to paramedics, who began treating the victim before transporting him to Porter Regional Hospital, according to the police report. Police also found a hypodermic needle in his pocket.
During a search of the home, police found paraphernalia in the son’s bedroom and learned the victim had a restraining order against this son.
The son, Jesse Haack, 34, was charged with invasion of privacy, possession of a narcotic drug and possession of paraphernalia and transported to Porter County Jail. The police also will forward charges against the victim to the county prosecutor for possession of a hypodermic needle.