PORTAGE | Seven classroom programs will receive a boost thanks to the Portage Township Education Foundation.
Foundation board members Stephanie Crook and Shannon Pierce announced the recipients of the foundation's spring grant cycle this past week at a Portage Township School Board meeting.
Crook told the board that the foundation began in 2006 on a $3,000 donation and has since awarded about $55,000 in grants to classroom teachers for programs. The foundation hosts fundraising events to provide the money for the grants.
This cycle's grants totaled $7,936. Grant recipients this spring are:
• Debora Porter, for creation of a district-wide elementary honors choir for fourth and fifth grade students, $1,200.
• Dessa Kelley and Sherrie Biggs from Fegely Middle School, for Exploring Biodiversy in Our Backyard State Park program, $848.
• Lois Chalmers-MacMillan of Portage High School, for Real Care Baby Simulator Project, $1,279.
• Lisa Norman and Mindy Malaski from Fegely Middle School, for Connecting to History project, $1,108.
• Shannon Sobeck, Lenora Ramian, Lisa Norman and Mindy Malaski, Fegely Middle School, for PBIS: Safe and Civil Schools program, $1,500.
• Theresa Hadenfelt and Derek Hart of Fegely Middle School for Write On! program, $1,499.
• Joanne Lehmann and Deb Seeley, Fegely Middle School for Construct and Communicate Camp, $500.