Portage warns residents of unethical contractors following storm damage

2014-05-14T00:00:00Z Portage warns residents of unethical contractors following storm damageTimes staff nwitimes.com
May 14, 2014 12:00 am  • 

PORTAGE | City officials are warning residents whose property was damaged by Sunday night's storm to be cautious when choosing contractors to complete repair work.

"Widespread storm damage typically brings unlicensed 'storm chaser' contractors as well as contractors from neighboring communities who are not licensed by the City of Portage to perform roofing, framing, tree removal and other work in the city," states a press release from the city's building department.

"These contractors may carry inadequate or no general liability or workers compensation insurance. For your own protection, verify that any contractor you consider to hire is licensed to work in the City of Portage," states the release.

Officials advise residents not provide any money to a contractor until they have confirmed that they are legitimate and licensed.

Residents need to know:

- Permits and inspections will be required for most work done, with a few exceptions. Check with the building department.

- Inspectors will respond expeditiously to requests for inspections. At times that may mean performing inspections before a permit is obtained.

- For ordinary wood frame or masonry structural damage, repairs with like materials may be made without submitting drawings describing the work, but permits are still required, and all framing repairs must be inspected before they are covered up.

- If pre-engineered trusses have been damaged, engineered truss repair drawings will be required on the job site so the inspector can verify that the repair work matches what the engineer specified.

To inquire about whether a contractor is licensed or have questions about the scope of repairs necessary, or the inspection process, call the building department at (219) 762-4204 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Application forms can be obtained at the office at City Hall, 6070 Central Ave. or online at www.ci.portage.in.us.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About Portage

City Hall
6070 W. Central Ave. Portage, IN 46368
(219) 762-5425

Police Department
2693 Irving Street Portage, IN 46368
(219) 762-3122

Fire Department
3401 Swanson Rd Portage, IN 46368
(219) 762-7404

Portage Township Schools Administration Center
6240 U.S. Highway 6 Portage, IN 46368
(219) 762-6511

Porter County Public Library
2665 Irving Street Portage, IN 46368
(219) 763-1508