VALPARAISO | Porter County prosecutors have withdrawn allegations that could have sent a Portage man back to prison for his fatal drunk driving arrest in 2008.
Deputy Prosecutor Andrew Bennett made the move Monday morning after explaining to the court that the probation revocation was filed after 28-year-old Brian Otto was arrested earlier this year on a charge of invasion of privacy.
The charge was dismissed last month, and thus Otto did not violate his probation, Bennett said.
Otto was sentenced in December 2009 to the maximum four-year prison sentence called for in a plea agreement, followed by two years on probation.
Otto said he drank three 16-ounce beers in the period of an hour before causing the crash at U.S. 20 and Wagner Road that resulted in the death of 37-year-old Lance Stroobandt, of Michigan City.