PORTER COUNTY | People can give back to the commuity through American Red Cross.
“The gift you give today will be there for the patient needing blood, the family needing shelter, or the child who needs a hug and a blanket,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “Your gifts of time, blood or money can help save the day down the street, across the country and around the world.”
As a humanitarian organization led by volunteers, the Red Cross provides relief to victims of disaster and to help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. As part of that mission, the Red Cross also provides about half of the nation’s blood supply through voluntary blood donations.
Volunteers are always needed, Red Cross officials say, to work in areas related to disaster relief, health and safety, and providing emergency communications to military members and their families. Volunteers are also needed to coordinate and sponsor blood drives or simply roll up their sleeves and give blood or platelets. People can help, too, by sharing motivational stories about their experiences with the Red Cross—either through the organization’s web site, or by joining the conversation on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
“You’re needed in whatever ways you chose to give,” said Whitman. “Not a day goes by that we don’t hear from the people, families, and communities who benefit from your kindness.”
For information, call (800) RED CROSS.
Area blood drives:
• 2 to 7 p.m. Dec. 11 in the Fellowship Hall at First Christian Church, 1507 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso.
• Noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 12 in the meeting room at New Life Wesleyan Church, 75 E. County Road 1100 North, Chesterton.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Dec. 13 in the gym at Northview Elementary School, 257 Northview Drive, Valparaiso. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Portage Christian School, 3040 Arlene St., Portage. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 15 in the Fellowship Hall at at Nativity of our Savior, 2949 Willowcreek Road, Portage.
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 16 at Duneland YMCA, 215 Roosevelt Road, Chesterton.
• 2 to 8 p.m. Dec. 17, from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness in the Fitness Center, 810 Michael Drive, Chesterton.
• noon to 5 p.m. Dec. 18 at the American Legion in the Hall, 5675 Mulberry Ave., Portage.
• 1 to 5 p.m. Dec. 19 at Arnell Motors, 241 Melton Road, Burns Harbor. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a gift basket courtesy of Arnell Motors.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 22 at Best Buy, 91 Silhavy, Valparaiso.
• 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 23 at Rittenhouse Senior Living, 1300 Vale Park Road, Valparaiso.
• 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 23 at Rittenhouse Senior Living, 6235 Sterling Creek Road, Portage.
• 2 to 7 p.m. Dec. 26 at St. Mary’s Church in the Fellowship Hall, located at 402 E. Indiana Ave., Kouts. Come to donate and get a 2 ounce brick of Dunkin Donuts® coffee and a coupon for a freepound of Dunkin’ Donuts® coffee.