Lake Station man denies role in South Haven shooting

2012-05-24T12:30:00Z 2012-05-25T11:12:05Z Lake Station man denies role in South Haven shootingBy Bob Kasarda bob.kasarda@nwi.com, (219) 548-4345 nwitimes.com

VALPARAISO | Lake Station resident Jason King told jurors Thursday morning he did not shoot a Gary resident Feb. 4, 2011, at The Warehouse bar in South Haven.

King said he shared words with Woodrow McGuire Jr. after noticing McGuire staring at him, after which time the arm of an unknown individual reached over his shoulder and shot McGuire in the face, King said.

King said he left the bar out of concern for his safety and soon was pursued by a security guard, who produced the .22-caliber handgun in question from his waistband. He denied knowing anything about the weapon or even seeing it up until that point.

King varied in his responses when asked if he ever told police he carried out the shooting. He said he was doing what was necessary to protect his brother, who had been threatened along with him by an unknown individual.

King took the stand in what is believed to be the last day of his trial. The 37-year-old is charged with felony counts of attempted murder, aggravated battery and possession of stolen property.

Deputy Prosecutor Cheryl Polarek told jurors Monday there was no altercation before King shot McGuire. McGuire suffered a minor wound and was released from the hospital emergency room the same night.

Police said at the time McGuire was transported later to a Chicago hospital for surgery.

Polarek said the handgun used in the crime had been stolen in 2006 from the purse of a shopper.

Jurors still were deliberating late Thursday night.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Do you have fond memories of Mount Baldy?

View Results