SOUTH HAVEN | For the second time in a week, life-saving measures initiated by a Porter County sheriff’s deputy revived an unresponsive patient.
Police said a 35-year-old woman apparently took medication Saturday night prescribed for her terminally ill grandmother and stopped breathing.
Cpl. William Knapp performed CPR on the woman who was turning blue. After about 45 chest compressions the woman started gasping for air.
Police said paramedics administered Narcan to the woman, which caused her to become awake and alert.
Police and medics were called about 6:20 p.m. Saturday to the 800 block of Baltimore Road by a friend who arrived at the apartment, found the door open and the woman inside, slumped in a chair.
The friend told police she tried to administer CPR at the direction of police dispatcher, but it was not effective.
Police said the woman was interviewed later at Porter Regional Hospital and told Knapp her grandmother was terminally ill with cancer and was in the hospital.
Her grandmother had received medication from the Visiting Nurse Association with included morphine, Lorazepam and Halperidol, police said. The woman told police she had taken some of the medication intended for her grandmother so she could relax.
Police are requesting prosecutors charge the woman with felony theft for taking her grandmother’s medication.
On Wednesday, Sgt. Jeremy Chavez performed first aid on a choking infant, reviving a 21-month-old girl who had stopped breathing.