CHESTERTON — The investigation into the unsubstantiated threat to "shoot up" Chesterton High School has been completed.
In a news release, Porter County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Sgt. Jamie Erow said the investigation has been completed and has been forwarded to Porter County Juvenile Probation for review. A 16-year-old CHS student has admitted to causing the incident.
"This student, whose name will not be released as he is a juvenile, admitted to getting into another student’s Facebook page from a previously shared cell phone and posting the comment on that individual’s page, in an attempt to try and get him in trouble. The Department of Child Services has also been involved with the case and is working with the family," she said.
The investigation by Porter County and Chesterton police and Duneland School Corp. began Sunday night after the message was posted on Facebook.
Sheriff Dave Reynolds praised the community and students who saw the post and "did the right thing and alerted authorities."