PORTER COUNTY | September is National Preparedness Month, and the American Red Cross encourages individuals to take action to plan and prepare for an emergency and to donate blood.
“Disasters can strike at any time and being prepared is a family’s and an individual’s best defense,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for Indiana-Ohio Region and Western Lake Erie Region Blood Services.
“Supporting Red Cross blood donation or giving blood is also critical to community preparedness since hospitals need blood to respond to patient need,” Whitman said. “The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.”
The Red Cross recommends three simple actions to prepare for weather-related disaster events and emergencies such as a house fire: get a kit, make a plan and be informed. “Everyone needs to have a plan; waiting until disaster strikes is too late,” Whitman added.
Residents have the opportunity to donate at these local blood drives:
• noon to 6 p.m. Sept. 4 at Valparaiso University in Harre Union – Ballroom C, located at 1509 Chapel Drive in Valparaiso. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a $50 shopping spree and receive a coupon for a free Varsity haircut at participating Sports Clips locations.
• 2 to 7 p.m. Sept. 5 at St. Mary’s Church in the Fellowship Hall, 402 E. Indiana Ave., Kouts.
• 1:30 to 5:30 p.m Sept. 5 at Midwest Eye Consultants, located at 374 Indiana Boundary Road, Chesterton.
• Noon to 5 p.m.Sept. 6 at McAfee Animal Hospital, 651 Eastport Centre Drive, Valparaiso.
• Noon to 6 p.m. Sept. 9 at St. Paul Catholic Church in the Social Hall, 1855 W. Harrison Blvd., Valparaiso.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Sept. 9 at the Boys & Girls Club of Porter County in the Second Gymnasium, 5895 Evergreen, Portage.
• 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at Porter Lakes Elementary School in the Cafeteria, 208 S. County Road 725 West, Hebron. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sept. 13 at Portage Avenue Baptist Church, 6605 Portage Ave., Portage.